Tuesday, May 3, 2011

April 27 and 28

When I got to work this morning, tornados had already destroyed several areas of Alabama. Our day shift charge nurse had to leave because of destruction to his home. My first patients witnessed the death of their mother in another tornado. By 3pm a tornado was going through the city of Cullman and immediately following was one in Tuscaloosa. Mass casualties were expected and we were implementing the disaster plan. I received a frantic call from Andrew that another tornado was forming over our home and he and the children would be in the bathroom. Our home was spared but the town we live on the boarder of was badly damaged. The home of Andrew's uncle who lives in that town was destroyed. I did not find out for hours that my family was okay. I did not even know that Pleasant Grove was hit until I saw familiar faces from Birmingham Fire and Rescue bringing in patients.
Worst Day Ever
I am very proud of all the Children's ED folks who worked through this not knowing about their own homes and families. Everyone came together and did what we do best; we took care of the kids!




Pictures of Fultondale
 (the town next to our home)







 Some pictures from the rest of the state
 (That mangled mess with a tire is a car.)